Pine Ridge is the eighth-largest reservation in the United States and it is the poorest. The population of Pine Ridge suffer health conditions, including high mortality rates, depression, alcoholism, drug abuse, malnutrition and diabetes, among others. Reservation access to health care is limited compared to urban areas, and it is not sufficient. Unemployment on the reservation hovers between 80% and 85%, and 49% of the population live below the federal poverty level. Many of the families have no electricity, telephone, running water, or sewage systems; and many use wood stoves to heat their homes, depleting limited wood resources.
- 252,566 hits
Top post & Pages
- Alzheimer's is Huge!! #ENDALZ
- This is old, but relevant. It's about nursing homes #ENDALZ
- “It used to be the expectation that you took care of your own but that seems to be less the case in today’s world,”
- from Tom Landry by way of Sara Gallo - a quote
- Alcohol Consumption and Brain Health | Dealing with Dementia