Met him in Oklahoma.
- 66 years old
- Vietnam Veteran
- Honorable Discharge
- 2 children that migrated with mom emotionally – they are polite when he calls
- No immediate family left
- Not drawing social security
- Teeth were rotten
- Had friends that died from agent orange. He said they told him agent orange was safe
- Had 3 encounters with the V.A. that, in his opinion, went south pretty quick. He spoke of arrogant and sarcastic attitudes. The ones he met had never served
- He met folks that sought him out. For 40% of his social security, they would help him apply.
- He never cried as we talked.
- He thought what I was doing was amazing.
- He wouldn’t let me give him anything
- He had tears in his eyes and gave me a big hug as I left
He knew his situation was self imposed, but couldn’t figure a way back.
How would you help? Where would you start? Would you resign yourself to helping this one man?